September 14, 2015

Creative Protein Sources








Protein is one of the macronutrients, along with fat and carbohydrates, that your body needs in order to function normally. Protein is important for carrying nutrients throughout your body, as well as rebuilding muscle tissue after exercise. Getting enough protein throughout the day is important, but eating too much can be a bad thing as well. Really high intake of protein can lead to kidney problems and extra fat storage in your body. A common myth, especially in the fitness world, is that you need to eat your body's weight (pounds) in grams of protein per day, but that number would actually be almost twice as much protein as most people actually need. The SuperTracker mentioned in my Carbohyrdate post can give you a good idea of the grams of protein your body needs based on your size and activity level. Many healthy sources of protein are found in things that you are already eating every day; eggs, lean meats, beans, etc. I have also made a list of some of the ways that I provide some variety in my protein!




1. Frozen salmon burgers
I get these ready-to-go salmon burgers at Costco and I usually keep a bag in my freezer all the time! They are so great for when I need something substantial but I am in a hurry... or I am lazy. They aren't as nutrient packed as fresh wild caught salmon, but sometimes the convenience factor wins out over that. I like to throw them on a skillet with some onions and add a side of oven baked sweet potatoes.





2. Protein Frosty
The protein power that I have been using lately can also be found at Costco. This one is rice based and chocolate flavored. I hardly ever drink cow milk, so the milk substitute that I like the best is almond milk. Recently, I bought the coconut flavored kind (unsweetened) because the grocery store was out of the regular kind, and now I am hooked on it. I mix about a cup of almond milk with two scoops of my protein powder, stick it in the freezer for an hour or so, and then I pretend that I am splurging on a Wendy's Frosty. Almost the same thing, right?
                                                                         

3. MuscleEgg
This protein recommendation is from my fitness friend Heather. Muscleegg is liquid egg whites that you can purchase in bulk. They come in different flavors so that you can use them in recipes, or drink them plain. Heather used her cake batter flavored muscleegg to make waffles, and she also told me that one of the muscleegg owners uses some to flavor her coffee in the mornings! Because they are sold in bulk, it can a great option to find a friend that wants to split a purchase with you.






4. Pre-marinated Trader Joe's chicken
I hate preparing meat, so I usually avoid buying it for that reason. This option from Trader Joe's makes it so much easier though! They have a few different marinade flavor options for you to choose from in the meat section of the store. Pay attention to the nutrition/ingredient label so that you can make sure that the ingredients and nutritional content correlate with your fat, protein, carb, sodium, etc intake for the day.




2 comments:

  1. I love all your suggestions. We find ourselves eating a lot of almond butter, Greek yogurt, and almond milk too. Great choices for protein!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Greek yogurt is my morning staple. I throw some mixed nuts in sometimes and it's awesome! Should have added that one to the list!

      Delete